Gamification in Education

Gamification caught my attention a few years ago when a special toddler discovered Minecraft. With no knowledge of reading or writing, amazing worlds were created with intricate detail added each time: Minecraft Creations

Few years later and in 2016 I had the privilege of being exposed to Minecraft through E2 in Budapest. This intrigued me and I was excited at the possibilities upon my return. Convincing adults that this could be of value to students learning was a challenge.

I have finally got together a group of young enthusiasts who consider themselves experts in the field and willing to take up the challenge. My trial group consists of students from year 10-12 who could not hold their excitement when invited to trial Minecraft for Education. The group includes students with learning needs. I am keen to find out if gamification has had an impact on their learning and how this could be utilised better to support them learning in a way best known to them- of course, it is a tall order but am taking small steps for now.

My personal view is that gamification allows students to bring context to their learning which will stimulate their creative thinking. I look forward to embarking on this journey with my students and will keep you posted.

One thought on “Gamification in Education

1. Minecraft has had a huge following especially over the past two years. It has been interesting to observe two of my junior school grandsons in particular that were especially hooked. Yes to the creativity it inspired, but I was concerned that it was a struggle to get them off their devices and out of the house. It will be interesting to read about the characteristics of the “Minecraft” generation as future commentators look back and compare with the past five generations who supposedly make up our society.
    Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 and later
    Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 to 1995
    Generation X: Born 1965 to 1976
    Baby Boomers: Born 1946 to 1964
    Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before