Connecting with a Rocket scientist

I am a few days behind in writing this exciting blog but am thrilled to be sharing this.

Teaching science in the classroom and hearing from a real scientist are two entirely different things. The buzz around their life story and experiences resonates with some of the things that students often face.

On Monday the 4th of August we were privileged to hear from Peter Beck, CEO of Rocket Lab Ltd about his beginnings and passion for rockets. Such passion is often cultivated over time and may sometimes go by unrecognized. Careers advisers often get it wrong where a test may be used to conclude where a child should be headed which was the case of Peter becks who really did not identify in any such category.

.PhotoPhotoPhoto

I am reminded of our capable students who struggle with literacy or some other part of the formal curriculum but have so much content knowledge in specific areas that the school system is almost not made for them- one such student exists in my class.

He is passionate about robots and on his own has achieved much. Probably the greatest excitement for him was knowing that our amazing speaker did not hold a qualification but his works were highly recognized and established. This came with commitment and persisting in what he believed in. It really is a pity that society recognizes titles and degrees and fails those who have so much to offer and achieve this through their own navigated pathways in life.

Creativity is the key to 21st century education- the more you allow students to build and create the more they will find solutions and be inspired to learn more. this was my take home message and I am truly inspired by you Mr. Beck. What a story you have and inspiration you are to our younger generation.